However, this summer I have noticed a significant decrease in crying. I have also noticed an increase in talking. Good 5-6 word sentences as well. Way to go Nate! For instance, tonight I wanted him to put his car away so we could go to Dairy Queen. I kept asking and asking and he kept ignoring and ignoring. Finally he said to me "I am getting my boat, I coming". I would have had no idea before that he was pretending to pull a boat, he would have just started crying at me. And a couple nights ago with the tooth, it would have taken me forever to figure out what had happened but he was able to tell me. These are just a few examples of the increased talking we have gotten from him this summer. Still less than anyone else his age...but such an improvement for Nate.
________________________________________________
I read a good book recently written by two mothers who have autistic children called "Its All About Attitude: Living and Loving Well with Autism". It was a very good book (I recommend it to anyone), and there were many things I liked about it. One thing that stood out in my mind was a workshop one of the moms attended called virtual autism. One of the sessions, she was required to wear a burlap sack (itchy), sit in a classroom with the television turned on loudly, bright lights, a teacher rapidly and repeatedly giving directions and complete some type of task. Her description of this experience was wonderful and gave a good impression of how difficult a school classroom can be for someone with sensory integration difficulties. As parents, therapists, and teachers of children with autism we would do well to try and imagine life from their perspective. Actually, we could all do well to try to understand and cherish others in such a way.
No comments:
Post a Comment