Thursday, January 06, 2011

Weight Loss

One of the many hats I wear at Deer River HealthCare Center is that of a therapist educating individuals who are going to have the lap-band weight loss surgery about the importance of exercise. I have done this for more than a year now, but typically went home and made the same excuses that my patients made to not exercise. So, I figured I better start practicing what I preach. Since having kids I have put on some weight. Not a lot, but enough to have me classified as over weight on the BMI scale. Being that for every 1 lb that you are overweight 4 extra lbs of stress is put on your joints, with my diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, it is important to protect my joints as much as possible. High cholesterol runs in my family, and mine has typically been high as well, making it even more important for me to maintain a healthy weight. Plus it is a great example for the kids, not that weight is a concern for them :)

So why am I telling everyone this??? One of the things I tell my lap band patients is to tell others about your exercise and weight loss goals. This way you are accountable to someone other than yourself. It is much harder to make excuses to others than to yourself. So, I am making myself accountable (in a very public way).  Although I have attempted to eat healthier before, I have never really officially attempted a diet. However, I don't necessarily consider this a diet but lifelong habits I would like to establish. Kyle and I each got a calorie counter app for our phones. That is as complicated as we are taking it...monitoring calorie intake and calories burned.

My goals:
  • Exercise 5 days a week (a combination of aerobic, flexibility, and strengthening)
  • Eat within my daily calorie allowance for a weight loss rate of 1 lb per week (livestrong.com has a great place to figure out what your daily calorie intake should be and to monitor your progress)
My hoped for results:
  • More energy
  • Health
  • Less joint pain
  • About 25-30 lbs of weight loss putting me in a healthy weight category
  • I would SERIOUSLY love an added benefit of dropping a bra size or two (my apologies to any males who are reading this and now feel I have given too much information)
I have been at it for 5 days (hey small steps are important as well). Here are my results:
Weight on Jan 1: 143.5  Weight today (Jan 6th): 140.5  Net: DOWN (YIPPEE) 3 lbs
BMI on Jan 1: 26.15      BMI today (Jan 6th): 25.69  Net: DOWN (YIPPEE) .41

Previous weight loss over last 3-4 months just trying to watch portion sizes: DOWN 5 lbs (I was 148 lbs)
My chest and neck measurements are down 1 inch in the last 5 days
Waist measurement is down .5 inches

Tried the elliptical machine at the Y yesterday. Was absolutely DYING after the first 3 minutes, but managed to push on to 5 minutes. Thought I was not going to be able to walk after wards because my legs were absolute jello. The 20 minutes I then spent on the exercise bike was a breeze following the elliptical. I hope to gradually increase my tolerance to the elliptical because they are seriously cool, but also because the old guy next to me totally put me to shame!!! 

So this is my method of being held accountable (thank you for putting up with it now and on future posts and cheering me on). Hopefully I can keep this pattern going and make it a habit for long term healthy weight management.

7 comments:

  1. Here is Mom, cheering you on! I know, having dropped 25 lbs so far, how much more energy you have when you get that under control. My goal is to drop another 25 and pull the exercise equipment out of storage to help with that goal. Just one minor task to complete before the next phase, getting Jane moved into her new house in Pine City. Then she won't need our apartment and that will turn into the workout center/guest quarters.

    Way to go, Trace! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for your, Trace!! Cheering you on from the cities!

    Pre-Fiona, I LOVED my EA Active for the Wii. It was great to do for 30 minutes whenever I had a chance at home and didn't require me going to the gym. You don't need equipment for it and you get a decent workout. Just a thought ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using the Wii Fit Plus on the days I don't go to the Y. Mainly the free step for 30 minutes while watching tv. I also like the rhythm boxing, and the strengthening exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like my Wii Fit Plus too - but think the EA Active is a better workout (more strength training and toning stuff)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! Inspiring, actually.

    I don't have a Wii Fit ... but am wondering how that works to be able to watch tv while you're doing it ... I thought you needed the tv for the Wii??

    ReplyDelete
  6. It gives you a beat, and occasional encouragement, through the Wii controller. You set it up on the TV and then you can control the pace etc. with the controller.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the great tips!

    I remember when I started my journey to weight loss a year ago I was having difficulty doing 20 minutes on the elliptical that thing is rough! Now I can do it for an hour no problem especially after starting Zumba.

    I have lost 40lbs, but still have 15 more to go to be in the "healthy" BMI range.

    ReplyDelete

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...