Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Storms


We had an interesting night last night. After putting the boys to bed, Kyle and I sat down to watch a Netflix movie that we have been meaning to watch for awhile now. About 9:00, after pausing the movie and taking care of something for the boys (all those with kids know this is how watching a movie goes), I happen to look online to see what the weather was doing. I was surprised to find a tornado warning box by Grand Rapids. I commented on how it was odd the sirens were not going off, even though that box technically didn't include the dot that was Grand Rapids. About two seconds later, the sirens were going off...and I had a couple of nervous kids on my hands. So, off to the basement we went. I closed all the windows, snapped a picture of the funnel cloud (this was looking east) and headed downstairs to comfort kids who wanted Mommy.

This will forever be a dilemma for me. I LOVE watching weather. I use to watch storms come in on my Dads covered deck with him all the time. It completely enthralls me. So, my instinct is not to head downstairs...but stay up and watch unless it gets really bad. However, the kids always want me down with them, and that it where I go because I can't refuse that. But there is still some part of me that wants to be upstairs instead.


Anyway, we didn't get much out of that storm (it went just north and east of us) other than some impressive cloud formations. However when looking at the radar we noticed another storm coming that was just a severe that would track right over Grand Rapids. We decided to sleep in the basement for the night. We didn't get the up to 100 mile an hour winds others got with this storm. We did get some hail though (about 1 inch) and an impressive lightening show.

Maybe we can get that movie watched tonight...

3 comments:

  1. Mike, your Dad, and I were standing at the end of our driveway in Shakopee last Friday watching a big storm (the one with the tornado touchdown in Willmar) literally roll in. Only Yogi chose the safety of the garage ... although we headed in when the lightening got close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats pretty much what we did in our family when there was a storm coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish we could've been there to see that funnel cloud!

    ReplyDelete

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...