Saturday, June 21, 2008

Swede Picnic

Kyle's family has a Swede Picnic every year at Billings Park in Superior. We received an invitation this year (must have decided they should start including the younger generations), and I needed to find a good dish to share. I decided to try and make an apple cake. It smelled delicious while baking and the batter was so good. Kyle has yet to try it for me to make sure, but I already have this feeling it turned out so good that I need to share the recipe:


Swedish Apple Cake
Submitted by: LEM-n-JEM
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 1 members
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour
Yields: 9 servings
"In a delectably moist cake with Swedish heritage, fresh, chopped apples and walnuts are spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg under a brown sugar topping."
INGREDIENTS:
Cake
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups apples - peeled, cored and
chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Topping
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons margarine
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
2. To make the cake, cream the sugar and shortening together in a mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a second bowl. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Fold in the apples and walnuts until evenly blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking dish.
3. To make the topping, place the milk, margarine, and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir to dissolve the brown sugar, and cook until the margarine melts. Pour over the cake.
4. Bake in preheated oven until the top springs back when lightly touched, about 40 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 6/21/2008

However, I followed one readers review and baked the cake for 20 minutes and then added the topping and baked for another 20 minutes. It seemed to work out well this way. I also doubled the recipe so i could make a 9X13 size cake instead of 8X8.

1 comment:

  1. It is indeed very good. But it turns out more like a crumble than an actual cake...a very delicious crumble.

    ReplyDelete

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...