Sunday, February 26, 2012

A New Family Member

I was making dinner and video chatting with Kyle on Friday evening, when I got a phone call from the OT who worked at the hospital before I did (I was a student of hers until she took a leave of absence during my last 6 weeks). I couldn't think of why on earth she would be calling me so I didn't answer it. I finished making dinner and we said our goodbyes to Kyle so that we could eat. While eating I listened to the message that she had left which said something to the affect of "Hi Tracey, I hear you are looking for a beagle and I found one for you. I gave someone your phone number. I hope its OK." Great.

Now, Kyle and I have been throwing around the idea of getting a beagle for about 6 months or so now maybe even more. We had pretty much decided to get one, but were not going to until Kyle was done with school. Then we would decided if we would get a puppy or grown dog, etc. But we certainly were not going to get one until spring or summer. So, when I got the above message. I thought first, how would she know we were considering a beagle, I haven't talked to her in ages. Secondly I thought, well this is completely the wrong time, but thanks for thinking of us.

The first phone call was followed by a second, which I did not answer because I typically don't answer my phone during dinner. I did not know the person calling this time but her message said "Hi Tracey, I hear you may be interested in a beagle. There is one available and the situation is urgent. She is house and crate trained, great with kids and other animals. Her current owners are moving and can't take her with them. They haven't been able to find a new home for her. They are moving on Wednesday and if they can't find a home for her they are going to have her put down."

Now I am thinking, this poor dog....but I certainly can't do anything by Wednesday! I was prepared to call this person and say sorry, it is just not the right timing for us. However, I had another video chat with Kyle and we agreed that although the timing was not exactly what we had wanted we would take the dog.

Her previous owner dropped her off on Sat morning, because she felt it would be too difficult holding on to her for any longer knowing she was going to have to give her up. This worked out fine for me because that gave me the weekend to get Lucy the beagle settled into our family. When her previous owner dropped her off, it was a very very difficult thing for her to do. There were a lot of tears on her part, and she got a few out of me as well. Lucy seems to be adjusting fine to new owners, although she may not know the finality of it all. She seems to follow me around more than the kids....but she is very very good with both of them as well.

Lucy is a very very good dog, and her temperament is very very good. She has not had any accidents in the house. We hardly ever hear her bark or howl, even when the neighbor dog is barking at her. She is happy to go in her kennel when it is time, and follows direction very well. She has the most expressive eyes, and I love her floppy ears. Both boys love playing with her. She spent the night in her kennel and we didn't hear a peep out of her at all about being in the kennel all night. She is use to being in her kennel all day while her family is at work. She is calm, doesn't jump, and appears to be very happy with us.

Lucy does does not mind the cat at all. She is afraid of Bitsy (with good reason as I will describe below), and pretty much is happy to ignore her and give Bitsy a wide berth. She is not aggressive towards Bitsy at all, and I have no fears whatsoever that she would ever hurt Bitsy.

Bitsy on the other hand is kind of pissed off. She is very nervous about Lucy, and does not appreciate a dog coming into HER home. This would all be fine, but Bitsy doesn't just ignore the dog...she does want to get aggressive. Lucy, even the one time that Bitsy tried to attack just laid down and surrendered. Which is why I have no concerns about her hurting Bitsy. So, for the time being they are being kept separated. They are getting to know each other better through the safety of each of their kennels. Lucy and Bitsy are taking turns being in their kennels and having free time. I make sure to keep the kennels in the same room where the animal with freedom is so that they can spend time together safely.

So, back to how did our family come up as a possible new home for Lucy?? I have learned that when engaging in small talk with patient's during hand therapy, and you mention something that your family is considering....you better make sure you would be OK with that something happening. Especially when that patient is involved with the Humane Society!!


1 comment:

  1. Cool story ... that I am finally getting around to reading! BUT I had to wonder -- why did the previous family think they'd have to put her down? I mean, there are great folks (including the humane society) that work to find animals new homes all the time.

    ReplyDelete

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...