Monday, October 01, 2007

Thoughts

Our phone rang at 6:45 this morning, which always makes me nervous. When I picked up the phone, everyone I knew was OK. On the other end was a recorded message from the school district. They have a mass calling system for when school is canceled or starting late. Occasionally there are other messages that go out to parents as well. This morning it was the superintendent notifying all parents in the district of a "rumor" the some student (or students) was planning on bringing weapons to the high school. The treats were found to be just that, a rumor, and school for the high school was still in session today.

As I walked Nate to school, and watched him walk down the hallway to his classroom, I saw lots of kids greeting him. Halfway down the hallway I saw another boy walk up, say hi, and then put his arm around Nate's shoulder for the rest of their walk to the classroom. As I stood at the end of the hallway smiling, I wondered what has to happen to go from an atmosphere of tolerance to one that prompts bringing weapons to school with the intention of hurting others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...