
A couple of years ago we bought Nate a bike with training wheels because he was out growing his trike. He did OK on it, and seemed to enjoy it. But he went FULL THROTTLE all the time. And wouldn't you know it, he turned too hard going too fast and fell right over. It quickly became evident that like a lot of children with sensory issues, riding a bike was going to be a difficult thing for Nate. He hasn't wanted to get on the bike since (but Ben rides it all the time). Nate has instead preferred to ride in one of those red plastic cars with the yellow tops. He has outgrown it and it really isn't something a typical 7 year-old would even want.
So, in an attempt to find something he could ride on (that tractor we have is too heavy for his weak legs) and something age appropriate we looked at a lot of options. I was excited when I found these huffy BMX trikes that look just like the other BMX bikes, but with three wheels. I was not so excited when I saw the price of more than $650 dollars. Especially considering you can get a regular one in stores for as little as $50. I was very disappointed, SHAME ON BMX FOR CHARGING SO MUCH!! All the other trikes I found were a little "young" for Nate, but I wasn't ready to give up.
I looked around some more and found this "Kettcar" on Amazon.com. Nate loves it and all the other kids in the neighborhood are envious. It is still hard for him, but he can peddle it short distances. What a great way to increase that leg strength too! Ben has actually been wonderful about Nate getting such a cool thing and not getting something himself. He really understood when we explained why we were getting it for Nate. Such a good brother! Now the sidewalk in front of the house is a regular speedway!
No comments:
Post a Comment