Nate's winter sport for Special Olympics is Poly Hockey. This was his first sport that he joined with Special Olympics. He has progressed from standing staring into space while feeling the ridges in his helmet, to actively being involved in the game. We don't even need to yell reminders at him the entire game to pay attention any more. It really is a good exercise in paying attention, working as a team, and motor skills for him.
This year at state hockey, Ben of course had a swim meet the same weekend. This happened last year as well so Kyle and Nate headed down to the cities, while I stayed home to head to I-Falls to watch Ben swim (he rode home with me so that he could drive....the whole way....and so we could enjoy Tim Horton's donuts before heading south).
Anyway, this year the Opening Ceremonies of the winter games were extra special. Nate loves the ceremonies and the pageantry. I have been known to be teary eyed a time or two at them as well. They really are empowering for the athletes. This year, Nate was asked to carry in and light the torch during the ceremonies. He loved it. I even sent my back up camera with Kyle so he could take good pictures.
If I have been known to get teary eyed during other opening ceremonies...I would have been a mess. He makes me so proud.
A blog for sharing stories about our family and our many adventures both big and small.
Saturday, March 10, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello
After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...
-
One of the many hats I wear at Deer River HealthCare Center is that of a therapist educating individuals who are going to have the lap-band ...
-
I recently wrote up the following for a former classmate who had a recent eye cancer scare with her young baby. She had asked if I would sha...
So incredibly proud of him! And not teary-eyed at all here. It's allergies. I swear...
ReplyDelete