Wednesday, March 21, 2018

MSHSL Section 6A Swimming Finals


Alternate Title, We Are State Bound!
(I found a way to copy and paste the previous post, but the formatting is still off. At least it can be read though)

After placing third in the prelims, Ben's chances of going to state were better than we had originally thought. However, we were still did not think it would happen. Anything can happen in the championship heat. There was definitely a nervous anticipation in the air though. The head got shaved, and we all went to bed early to get a good night of sleep the night before finals. 

Plans came to a crashing halt the next morning though with the sound of Nate throwing open the door between his bedroom and the bathroom, followed by the sound of vomiting. Crud....which was not exactly the word that I used. Once Nate was solidly taken care of, the planning on who was going to stay home with him took place. He was legit sick with the stomach flu, and was not going to be able to stay home alone. I thought about calling in my dad from Duluth to stay with him, but complicating matters was a snow storm on it's way. So, I planned on staying home and sending a camera with Kyle to take pictures. Kyle had missed the JV championship the weekend before, he was the swimmer, it was only fair. However, Kyle insisted that I should be the one to go to the meet so that I could take pictures. Back and forth we went, but when it came time to head to Hibbing for the meet, I was the one going with plans to Skype Kyle during the 200 freestyle so that he could watch. 

One of the longest days of my life....it went SLOOOWWW, and seemed like 3:00 would never come around! When I got to Hibbing more than an hour early for the meet, I couldn't find a parking spot. In addition to the swim meet there was a very large basketball tournament taking place as well. Around and around I went trying to find a spot to park. Having finally found one, I did get a decent spot to watch the meet. It was crowded...packed....standing room only. 



I don't know how Ben felt, but I was kinda a nervous wreck if I must be honest. When it came time for the race, we got Kyle (and Nate) connected on Skype, and I handed my phone over to another parent to do the recording. I screamed my head off. Not that he could hear me, but that's what everyone else was doing and it felt better than sitting there not doing anything. He hung in there in the top 4 for the first half of the race. Then again he started pulling ahead. It was more obvious during the second half of the race that he had this. Then he started making a move on the leader. He almost caught him, Ben's coach says that if he had another 5 yards he would have won that race. He finished in second with a time that was better than he and his coaches had hoped. I was ready with my camera to catch some in water celebrating. Nothing though! Ben told me later it's because he thought he had finished 4th or 5th. His teammates were there when he got out of the pool though.

After the swim I ran to the other end of the spectator section to get podium pictures.







After the podium pictures I ran back to my seat to get pictures of the congratulations coming from coaches.
Congrats from Coach Jon (Kyle's high school coach)


Congrats from Coach Casey
Ben had a busy meet, but did find time to come up and see me (and the rest of the Grand Rapids swimming parents who were equally as excited as I was). 

Not very often I get a public hug from him anymore
He had a very good rest of the meet as well. He placed 6th in his 100 freestyle (which is a very competitive event).

6th place 100 Freestyle
His relay teams had a 5th place and a 6th place finish.




It was an amazing meet. Huge bummer that Kyle and Nate could not be there. Hopefully there will be more state qualifying swims in the future. Also a bummer that he was the only swimmer to qualify for state on his team.  They have a very talented, but young team. The next few years will see more swimmers going to state, and more meets won...I am sure of it.

Incidentally, we did get the predicted snow. It was not a fun drive home from Hibbing. Luckily I had another swim mom with me though so I was not alone. I was exhausted, but luckily Nate was the only one to catch the stomach flu.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...