Monday, May 21, 2012

Swimming For Gold

On Friday I got an email about a swim clinic in Duluth for the coming Sunday. Initially I thought that it was too short of notice, and I was already driving to Duluth on Saturday. However, when I looked at it closer I realized it was a really good opportunity for Ben, so I decided to leave it up to him. He choose to attend the clinic put on by Olympic Gold Medalists Aaron Peirsol and Misty Hyman.

We arrived at the Duluth YMCA (which is incidentally way different than I remember) and a short time later the Olympic swimmers arrived escorted by the mayor (Nate's thrill of the day). Ben spent about an hour listening to their inspirational stories. Then it was time to get into the pool.

Ben spent the next 2 hours refining strokes and techniques. Finishing the pool portion with a 25 yard breast stroke against Misty Hyman. Ben was quite cold by the time he was done, but a few encouraging words from Misty and he pulled through this portion.

After some finishing words, it was time for autographs and pictures. Ben had them both sign his swim bag, a poster, and his t-shirt from the clinic. He also got to wear their Olympic Gold Medals for a picture with both of them. He also received a bunch of motivational swimming posters, and a couple of DVDs of swim meets.

Most importantly he walked away as motivated as ever to keep at it, and feeling pretty special. He felt even more special when he found his picture on the front page of the Duluth News Tribune the following day. It was an amazing opportunity for sure!

1 comment:

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...