Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hunting Season

I have been saying for a couple of years that I want to start bird hunting. I really have no basis for this other than I heard the meat is very good, and it is such a nice time of year to be out hunting (unlike sitting in a deer stand freezing my arse off). Well, I really didn't intend to be hunting last Thursday, especially in the way which I got my first grouse.

I was driving from work to go and pick up Ben and Nate from childcare (Ben was sick with a high fever and I was heading home early). I was in between Deer River and Cohasset when a large bird flew out of the tall grass in the median and right into my car. The bird brain took off like a bullet and there was nothing I could do to avoid him. He smashed into my grill on the drivers side and then slid behind the grill on the passengers side, either way he was loud when he hit. When I got out to check things out at the closest gas station, I was surprised to find what I thought was a partridge or grouse behind my grill. Everything appeared in order, so I continued on my way to get the kids.

Once I got home and got a sick Ben settled in, I contacted Kyle saying something to the affect of "Can we at least eat this Mother F*&#@^% bird that just flew into my car?". I was a little stressed with having to leave work early, putting a hole in the car, and thinking about the cost of fixing it. I pulled the bird out (after taking pictures of course) and Kyle cleaned it. I can confirm that I do very much enjoy grouse. Expensive meat though, if you hunt the way I do.




1 comment:

  1. Tracey see if a deer will fit in there and if so go deer hunting

    ReplyDelete

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...