Sunday, January 07, 2018

Shalom

Some time ago (way back when Kyle worked at the lab in Coleraine), a co-worker decided to enlighten him and gave him a book on religion from the Jehovah's Witness perspective. To be nice, he brought it home and jokingly gave it to Nate. Little did we know that Nate would latch onto this book and actually read it. Not wanting to leave religious education for our kids up to the Jehovah's we bought some religion books that were more *cough* appropriate. Some on Christianity, and some on a bunch of different religions.

Nate has always enjoyed reading them. I think that part of it is the history aspect of it. OK, probably a big part of it. Although he declared himself "a christian" quite emphatically at the time, he has more recently shown an interest in the Jewish religion.

I had noticed this interest, but didn't think much of it. However, not long before Christmas I noticed him going over to his desk every night before climbing in bed. One night he finally turned to me after heading over to the desk again and said "Look at my menorah!". He had built a menorah out of Legos, and was adding a Lego to each candle every night.

Next year he wants a real one

Of course, when we went to Kyle's parents Grandpa had to share his yamaka (he has one of a joke, that is a story in and of itself) in a show of support as well.

Nate wants one now too

I think he is quite insistent on celebrating both Holidays next year. I better read his book.

1 comment:

  1. Based on Mike's deep deep love of brisket, I constantly tease him that I'm sure there is a strong Jewish ancestry there somewhere. Maybe Nate feels that too ;)

    ReplyDelete

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...