For a while now we have been watching Nate, and have been somewhat concerned about his ability to problem solve his way out of his room in the basement if there is a fire.
Then a few weeks ago, I went to go wake Nate up for school and found him on his couch. He promptly announced "I am sick". With a quick look, I discovered that he had in fact been sick...a lot. I will save you the details, but the evidence was everywhere, including dried up in his mustache and beard. I asked him how long he had been up with the stomach flu. He said since about 1 AM. I felt horrible for him. He had found something to throw up in, but never thought to try and make it to the bathroom or to come up and get us. Maybe he didn't feel good enough to make it upstairs. Who knows, but he probably had a miserable night...all by himself. This still makes me incredibly sad.
Talking about it with Kyle, we both felt that he needed to be closer to us at night. So, an idea started to take shape. We decided that Nate's bedroom would be upstairs, and that he would still get a "Man Cave" downstairs for his books, Legos, and all his gaming systems. We discussed it with Nate, who had already been sleeping in the guest bedroom upstairs since he had been ill. In fact, since moving to his bedroom in the basement he has always preferred to sleep up stairs when sick. He agreed with the plan as long as he could paint the room.
First step was to empty out all the junk from the guest bedroom. It had really just become a dumping ground for stuff that had no other home. All those millions of kids books in the closet had needed to be sorted through for YEARS.
This weekend phase I really began. We emptied the room, brought tons of stuff to be donated, painted the room (Nate picked out the color...it may look familiar to those who have seen his previous room), and moved Nate in....all on Saturday. He loves it!! It looks great, and is still so very much him! We were going to get him new curtains too, as the ones in there were a bit dated. However when we re-hung them until we could get new ones the old ones looked pretty good with the color that Nate had chosen. So, the old curtains stayed.
I....hurt!
A blog for sharing stories about our family and our many adventures both big and small.
Sunday, January 28, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello
After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...
-
One of the many hats I wear at Deer River HealthCare Center is that of a therapist educating individuals who are going to have the lap-band ...
-
I recently wrote up the following for a former classmate who had a recent eye cancer scare with her young baby. She had asked if I would sha...


No comments:
Post a Comment