Sunday, October 22, 2017

Marching Band

Ben has been looking forward to marching band since he started playing saxophone in 6th grade. This summer he got his sweaty, sunny, hot, hard working, lots of fun, and lots of new friends chance. He did entertain the idea of trying out for drum line briefly (good friends are on the drum line), and despite being a percussionist myself in high school I encouraged him to stick with sax. He strengthened a swimming friendship who he knew from the time they were little, made new friends, and made an extra special friend. He has been busy, often missing dinners, but loving every minute of it. They start at the beginning of July, so he really hit the road to high school running as well!

Our first opportunity to see the band in action was at the Tall Timber Days parade. Ben didn't know which side of the band he was going to be on, and of course I was on the wrong side of the street. So I ran two blocks in flip flops (it's a large band) to get in front of the band and cross the street. I followed them for more than half of the parade, that crazy mom with the camera, but I got great pictures!

First opportunity to see him in uniform.

He's in there somewhere, the one in orange and black!

With said drum line buddies.

He didn't get an individual picture at official picture day,
luckily it's what I do! He loved putting the sweaty uniform back on!
The band competes in the cities and in Wisconsin primarily, as they are the only competitive marching band not from those areas. However, this is conveniently where aunts, uncles, and cousins live. Mike and family joined us in Eden Prairie. Sara, GRHS Marching Band Alumni had great marching band stories to tell! D was fascinated by the drum majors, and directing the band himself from the stands.
He's back there with the saxophone.
I still have a hard time keeping track of him, they move fast!


Future Drum Major?
We were also joined by Ryan and family at the Chippewa Falls Competition. The band got to go to Wisconsin Dells on Friday. Kyle, Nate, and I headed to Eau Claire for a visit. It rained all day on the day of the competition, and I was not looking forward to sitting in the rain on a cold night. However, the sun came out about 20 minutes before we left for the competition. Fun was had by all, the cousins loved yelling "Rock the House", and there was pie....good pie. We also watched the U of WI Eau Claire Marching Band....and it was amazing! We even got to snag Ben for a quick visit as he made his way to the gym (the band was sleeping on the floor of the gym that night before heading to River Falls the next day for a competition).

At River Falls they took home ALL the awards. They got 1st place, which had been elusive all season for them. They also took home best color guard, best winds, best drum line, and best drum majors. Clean Sweep!

They finished their season at US Band Stadium (the day before the ill fated Vikings v Packers game). There were 4 bands in their section competing at the Youth in Music Championships, and they took 4th place. However this competition also serves as the MN State Marching Band Championships, and being they were the only band from MN in their section, they walked out of there STATE CHAMPS!

Now the competitive season is done, but the friendships remain. Next up.....drivers ed, pep band, and swim season.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. I remember the fun at the EP competition. I don't recall the Vikes/Packers game being ill-fated though ... ;)

    ReplyDelete

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...