We got signed up and started work on getting pledges. The goal we each had was to raise the minimum of $75 for each of us. I am not a big fan of fundraising. I hate it when I have to sell things for school (I am eying the packet of DARE spaghetti tickets sitting next to me wearily); however this was for a good cause....so we set out on our mission. Ben and his friend Michael who decided to take the plunge with us (along with my good friend Shannon who is Michael's mom) decided on the team name Crabitron after a space crab simulator game they both like to play on the ipad. This prompted Kyle to purchase a giant crab suit....the rest of us settled for crab hats. We quickly discovered the power of social media in raising money, and along with the crazy task at hand of jumping into a frozen lake and Nate's story we started raising money like crazy. We quickly surpassed our initial goals and needed to reset our goals not once, but twice! Our team of 5 raised almost $1200!!
The week before the plunge I eyed the weather forecast often. When the initial 10 day forecast came out it called for highs of 38 degrees! However, with each additional update the predicted temperature dropped and dropped. It ended up being 16 degrees out at the time of the plunge....4 degrees factoring in the windchill! It was sunny though, and the wind wasn't bad....so we were happy. After signing in and gathering our incentive prizes, we got ready for the costume contest which team Crabitron easily won! It was a close call with the guy dressed like a pink tooth fairy though :)
We got to plunge with the first set of plungers which is reserved for Law Enforcement and Athletes or family members of athletes. This ended up being the best deal, we didn't have to stand outside and wait to be let into the changing tents, we got first choice of places in the changing tend (right in front of the heater thank you), and the changing room wasn't crowded when we were in there. Ben, Kyle, and Michael jumped first, followed by Shannon and I. I tried to jump as far across the water as I could so I wouldn't have to walk in the cold water as far. It was cold....like pins and needles cold. I felt it mainly in my feet which was the worst when I had exited the water and was running like a bat out of hell to get to the warmth of the changing tent to get my wet clothes off.
Afterwards (once I was warm and dry and could feel my feet again) I quickly agreed I would do it again next year. Kyle, Michael, and Shannon all said the same. Ben however, kept insisting over and over and over again "NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN". We will see what he says next year, when it is time to do it all over again. Next year, when I try and recruit more members for our team.....I am looking at you MICHAEL VANNESTE and EMILY JOHNSON (Sara, you get an pass THIS time because someone has to watch the kids)!!!! Honestly, you gotta try it....it's a rush!
From Left to Right: Michael, Ben, Kyle
Left to Right: Shannon, Tracey
Yes! I'll take the pass (Mike says "boo" to the pass ... but I also noticed he didn't say he wouldn't do it).
ReplyDeleteThings that are terrifying: seeing your name in all capital letters from a big sister (any big sister). I'd say no, but we all know I cave easily to peer pressure ;)
ReplyDeleteTerrifying enough to jump into a frozen lake??
ReplyDelete