Kyle and I both like John Denver, and so the boys have grown up hearing his music. Favorites of Ben and Nate include Take Me Home (County Roads), Thank God I'm a Country Boy, and Sunshine on My Shoulders, and Calypso. I can add Annie's song to all of those as a favorite as well as Leaving on a Jet Plane. So, when The Reif Center announced their season this year we all took notice of Rocky Mountain High: A John Denver Tribute, and purchased tickets. Apparently we are not the only fans because the show was sold out.
This show includes the very talented Ted Vigil (in and of himself a great singer/songwriter) who bears a remarkable resemblance to John Denver. What we didn't realize until we got to the show, was that Steve Weismann who was the lead guitar player who toured with John Denver would be joining him. They are a great pair, and it was a wonderful show.
At intermission, I wanted Ben to go buy me Ben wanted to go and buy some raffle tickets they were selling to get the change to win a 35 cd John Denver box set. As he was making his way across the stage, he needed to stop as Ted and Steve were blocking the way talking to people....trying to get them to come on the stage with them during their second set to help out.
And that is when Ted turned and saw Ben standing there. A simple question of "what's your name?" started it all. Ben told him, and Ted asked " How would you like to come up on stage and help me out a bit during the second set?" Ben looked a bit hesitant so he encouraged Ben "all you have to do is make some animal sounds". Ben turned to look at me, and that is when Ted noticed me. "Your mom can come up and help as well". I was in no way interested in doing that, but I knew Ben would've without me, so I gave in and said OK. Which is when Ted noticed Kyle, and roped him in as well. We said well we have one more as well, and now Nate was on board.
We got our instructions about the animal sounds in the first song we would be helping with (I along with another volunteer would be making chicken noises, Nate and Kyle would be making hound dog noises, and Ben would be making a pig noise). We also learned that we would be helping out with the second song of the set Jingle Bells.... The boys would be laughing in a low HOHOHO, and the girls laughing a high HEHEHE after laughing all the way.
We were told they would come get us when it was time. I quickly got out my phone thinking that I would have to trust a stranger to take a picture of us on stage. However, when I looked around I saw nobody under the age of 50. Who could I find that knows how to use an iPhone.....one of my best friends April happened to be in the audience with her husband. I quickly found her and called her over to get my camera.
As soon as April had my camera, Ted was back and said we should actually come back stage with him. So we spent the rest of intermission in the "green room" with Ted and Steve, which was fun. Then when they went on stage for their second set...we joined them. To a packed house mind you. We did our first song, chicken clucking and all. Both boys were quite enthusiastic, and a big hit. However it was Nate who stole the show by rewarding the applauding audience with removing his hat, yelling whoooo, and holding both hands up in the air.
Then it was time for Jingle Bells. Nate was such a riot that we decided to let him hold the microphone. All went well, and while we were again receiving applause, Nate started talking into the microphone. Not sure what he was saying I quickly took it front him. Which freed his arms to be up in the air again. Such a ham.
We enjoyed the rest of the show. Afterwards....even though it was late we stayed to have Ted and Steve sign the boys programs and a cd. Now, if I had known I would be clucking like a chicken in front of a sold out crowd, I would have had another drink before the show. BUT...... It was so much fun watching the boys get to spend time with the musicians, and perform with such enthusiasm in front of the crowd.
Here are a couple of pictures. The one of us on stage is very washed out because of the lighting.....that was unfortunately the best one. Ted got one of all of us back stage that he is posting on Facebook, so I will share when he does so, because those turned out much better. Also including a short video of the end of Jingle Bells.



No comments:
Post a Comment