We had a bit of excitement at our place when the kids and I got home today. It started as we were waiting at the stoplight and a firetruck went past very fast with it lights and siren on. Ben said "it was a small truck so it must be a small fire". I said "maybe not a fire at all, could just be a medical emergency". But as we got closer to our place it became VERY apparent that it was not a medical emergency. Even three blocks away it was very very smoky and we could smell the fire. My first thought was, I hope that's not my house burning. As we got closer to home they had the road blocked. But, I could see people out and about (and could see my house was fine). It was a very large grass fire very close to our house. In the tall grass next to the playground and field where the school use to be. At first it looked like the playground was on fire as well, but I think it was just the grass. It would simmer down and then when the wind would blow WHOOSH it would grow again.
At first they didn't want to let me past the barricade. I tried convincing them that I lived there, but she still didn't want to let me through. I kept pushing because I could see my neighbors all standing out in their yards watching, so it wasn't as if the danger was so bad that they evacuated the neighborhood. They finally let me through (after I convinced them there was no way that I could get through the alley because our driveway is off of the street). The smoke was something else... stings the throat and eyes. The good news is none of the houses across the street (which were right next to the fire) were damaged and nobody was hurt. All in all there were 10+ firetrucks surrounding the area. I managed to get some pictures on my phone, but they were after the fire had died down a bit.
A blog for sharing stories about our family and our many adventures both big and small.
Friday, November 04, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello
After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...
-
One of the many hats I wear at Deer River HealthCare Center is that of a therapist educating individuals who are going to have the lap-band ...
-
I recently wrote up the following for a former classmate who had a recent eye cancer scare with her young baby. She had asked if I would sha...





No comments:
Post a Comment