Sunday, August 08, 2010

Anniversary Weekend

We had plans to camp on the North Shore for 4 days to celebrate our anniversary. However, not being able to reserve a campsite was seriously stressing me out. I have never been a go with the flow type of person. So, instead we made reservations at Moose Lake City Campground. As a kid, we camped frequently at this campground with my Grandma and Grandpa Birman, my Grandpa Vanneste, and Barb and Ray Larson (family friends). I have many memories of running around this place with my brother Mike and my uncle TJ (who is only a few years older than me).

So off we went to Moose Lake. We had a campsite right on the lake. Which was nice to be able to put the kayak and canoe in right at the campsite. It had a great view, but was a very narrow site. We didn't even have room to put the awning up, if we weren't looking at the lake we were looking at the neighbors sewer line, and the fire pit for the campsite on the other side of us was about 2 feet from ours. The only other thing that I didn't like was when we were kids everyone rode bikes (even the adults) around the campground or to go into town. Now everyone rides 4-wheelers or motor bikes, so there is a constant rumble throughout the day of motors. Excuse me while I step on my soap box for a second...No WONDER we have an obesity problem in the US....and now I am done. Imagine how I felt when I was already annoyed with the 4-wheelers and into the campground came a truck pulling a huge flatbed trailer with about 10 4-wheelers on it.

Anyway, it was a nice enjoyable and relaxing weekend. Despite the 4-wheelers, and despite the fact that we got rained on again on Saturday (all three times we have camped this summer this has happened). Now, on to the pictures.

Looking down into the campground from near the entrance.
Looking into the city park which is attached, there is a beach and a playground here. The pavilion is exactly as I remember it and I still to this day have not seen it open.


Here are the flush toilets and showers. These things were ancient really old the last time I camped here as well. Although these were fine to go to the bathroom in, they have built a new shower/toilet facility on the other end of the campground that is much better for bathing purposes. I did have to wait in line though as there are only two showers.



Here is our campsite for the weekend. You can see how close we are to our neighbor. His camper is on the left side of the picture. But we did have a large grassy area behind out campsite that we were allowed to use. So, although we couldn't put up the awning, we could use our hammock and screen tent.

We brought Bitsy with us for the first time since we were going to be gone for a longer period of time. She enjoyed it a lot, and loved laying in the sun and looking out the screen door.


We did find old family friends Barb and Ray Larson and it was nice to visit. Nate loved going to visit, and by the end of the weekend Ray was "Grandpa Larson". Here is Ben playing with one of their granddaughters (the blond girl on the left). This is Gary's daughter for those who know the Larsons.

This is the beach. Pretty much the same as I remember, minus the large metal slide. I guess a few years ago a child died on it and they removed it. Good plan. You can see the life guard on the dock calling everyone out of the water. Just as we got there to swim the thunder started.


The old beach house with changing rooms is the same, but the playground equipment that is there now sure as heck beats what was there when I was a kid, right Mike?


Ben loved this thing.


Nate loved being in the "house" he was probably figuring it was Abe Lincoln's log cabin or something.


The foggy morning on our last day here. Was peaceful and quiet in a way. Maybe because none of the people with 4-wheelers had woken up yet (sorry couldn't help myself).


And finally a video of Ben running and jumping off the end of the dock. He has been working up the courage to do this all summer.


So, this trip ends our camping trips for the summer as our weekends (or at least Kyle's, but that's another blog post) are full from here on out.

2 comments:

  1. You should make a coffee table book -- "Campground Toilets"

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you all had a great time! I could totally picture you, Mike, and TJ running around that place :)

    ReplyDelete

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...