Monday, July 26, 2010

More Camping

We have gone out camping two weekends in a row now, and for two weekends in a row have had rain. Which only make us appreciate not being in a tent even more!

Two weekends ago we went to Savanna Portage State Park. We had never been to this State Park, but chose it as our "maiden voyage" with the camper due to the proximity to Cromwell (where I needed to be for Sara's baby shower). We reserved a non-electric spot, but were fortunate to have an electric non-reservable spot available when we got there. We found that the biggest reason to have electrical hook-up is so that we can run our fan at night. Otherwise our little camper gets rather warm.

Here are the boys eating breakfast Saturday morning.

And here is a picture of our campsite out the door of the camper.

The boys enjoyed reading a bit before getting dressed for the day.
And here is Kyle enjoying a cup of coffee, which always tastes so much better when camping.

Here are a couple of baby shower pictures thrown in for good measure...not bad for a girl who came from camping if I do say so myself :)
This is Ben on the hike we went on before the baby shower on Saturday. I decided to go sans bug spray...BIG mistake. The flies were terrible and I am pretty sure one took a good chunk of meat out of my lower trapezius.
Another view of our weekend retreat.
And a pic of the boys watching Chicken Little on a rainy Saturday evening. OK, maybe that is the other good reason to have a site with electric hook-up.
Our next camping adventure was at Winnie Dam Recreation Area just north of Deer River. Kyle took Friday off and had everything set up by the time the boys and I got there. I have less pictures of this camping trip, but better stories.

Not long after we arrived, the boys were off exploring the campground. Nate came back about 10 minutes later and said he needed a new shirt and shorts. He was soaked! I asked him how he got wet, and his reply was "dumping station". I was so glad to hear that reply!

On Friday night, Kyle and I were sitting around the fire after the kids had gone to bed, and Kyle decided to enjoy a hot dog. Someone else must have decided they smelled pretty good as well, because a skunk decided to wander into our campsite. He explored under our picnic table, under the camper, by the truck...all while I sat hoping and prayer he wouldn't get spooked and spray. Luckily when he did get spooked he just ran away without any lingering stink.

So, that about sums up our camping adventure so far. Next we have a trip to the north shore planned...can't wait to camp for 4 days by my favorite lake!

4 comments:

  1. You do clean up nice for a gal who was camping ;-)

    Still love the dumping station story. Can't wait to join you next summer on the camping adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited about that possibility as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to come too! i'll even watch all the kiddies one night while the "grown-ups" disappear for a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you would be included....but I don't need to anywhere while I am camping other than planting myself in front of the campfire and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...