It's been awhile. I started my internship at the hospital last week, and really enjoy it there as well. I enjoy that I can see hospital inpatients, nursing home residents, outpatients (adults and kids), etc. The whole realm of OT. Probably my favorite are the hand patients! I really enjoy it, and I see a lot of them. A couple wrist fractures, a couple reattached fingers, some arthritis, etc. It mostly involves yanking on fingers that don't want to move anymore. Which does it's number on my own arthritic hands, and I have now found myself with my own home program and splints so that I don't hurt my joints. But, I get to dictate all my notes so that also helps save my hands a bit.
A funny Nate story...He has been taking his spelling tests on the computer, and does really well with it. He had been using the classroom computer, but figured out that when there was a red line under his words, he had spelled them wrong. This of course would upset and frusterate him. So, they started covering up what he had already done with a piece of paper, but he would look around the paper and see the red line. So, they are using a laptop at his desk (why they didn't just turn of spell check on the classroom computer...I don't know) and it works really well. His teacher has now added dictation to the spelling test and they need to write two sentences. Nate was able to write the sentences (including the we'll), but had forgotten the punctuation and capitalization. So his para leaned over and said "don't forget punctuation" and when she looked at his a bit later there he was typing "P-U-N-C..." trying to spell out punctuation :)
Ben had his well-child exam last week. And on the vision screen he didn't do quite as well as the doctor would have liked. He has always been a bit near sighted, and they have always said that is to be expected for someone his age. But, his doctor said that by six she would expect him to be 20-20, and he is not quite there. Which is funny because about a week before I said to Kyle "his eyes always look so red and tired, I wonder if it is because they are strained". So, Thursday he has an eye appointment and we will see if he needs glasses or not.
And last but not least, despite an explosion at the plant in Arkansas Kyle and everyone he was there with are safe. He got to come home a lot earlier than expected, but not before finally having the opportunity to travel to Toadsuck Arkansas to collect some good Toadsuck merchandise. Grandpa Wally would be so proud!
A blog for sharing stories about our family and our many adventures both big and small.
Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello
After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...
-
One of the many hats I wear at Deer River HealthCare Center is that of a therapist educating individuals who are going to have the lap-band ...
-
I recently wrote up the following for a former classmate who had a recent eye cancer scare with her young baby. She had asked if I would sha...
Fun update! I especially like Nate trying to spell punctuation :).
ReplyDeleteI had a work meeting tonight with a guy who used to work with Kyle in some capacity and he came up to me and said "have you heard from our friends in Grand Rapids yet?" and I had to say no! I suppose it's both good and bad that I rely on the blog. Someday I'll have to actually pick up the phone and call :).