Friday, October 23, 2009

The Flu Hits


Ben came home from school early yesterday with a fever, sore throat, achiness, cough...etc. All signs pointed to H1N1. So, I made a few calls. First to Grand Itasca to see if he could get into see his pediatrician. The person I talked to told me in an almost paniced voice that as of an hour ago they were put on high alert and I needed to talk to the ONE triage nurse. From them I waited for an hour and a half for them to call me back and tell me nobody could see him and that they are not treating anybody with flu symptoms at this time unless they develop complications.

Although Ben is not exactly in the high risk category, Nate and I are. So, not satisfied with this I called one of the clinics I work at to see if one of the docs there could see him, which they could. They told me there that Ben should definately be on Tamiflu, because he lives with high risk people. They also confirmed that he had H1N1 (the strep test was negative and due to his symptoms they didn't feel the need to put him through a flu swab as well as it was pretty obvious what it was).

Anyway, Ben is hanging in there. He has quite a cough, and still complains of a sore throat. The fever has been controllable with Tylenol, but spikes up every once in awhile. He doesn't really want to eat anything, but is drinking fluids really well for me. After some days camped out resting on the couch, he should be just fine.

The school nurse told me that just in the last two days she has sent many kids home with flu-like symptoms, and as of Monday the school had sent a report to the state saying that over 5% of the students are calling in absent with flu-like symptoms. So, my hope of sending Nate to school and keeping him away from Ben so he doesn't get it may be a tad bit unrealistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

After saying goodbye to Lucy we knew we wanted another friend, and we also knew that a cat was more suitable to our busy lifestyle than anot...